The Inspector provides a realtime view of what is happening in a deployment: which entities are present where, what are their components’ properties, which workers are connected to your deployment and what are they responsible for, and much more.
This makes the Inspector a crucial companion to monitoring and debugging SpatialOS deployments - read on for details!
Accessing the Inspector
The Inspector is available both for local deployments and those deployment on cloud.
For a local deployment, access the Inspector at http://localhost:21000/inspector.
For a cloud deployment, access the Inspector from your deployment’s page, by clicking INSPECT:
The World View
The World View is a 2D and 3D representation of all entities’ live positions, where each entity is represented as a diamond.
To navigate the world, use the icons at the bottom of the page:
- Zoom in/out/reset
- 2D/3D toggle
- Pause/Resume The World (this pauses all position updates)
- Pan mode / multi-select toggle
These should help you find and select entities:
If you know the entity ID of the entity you’re interested in, you can also search for it in the sidebar.
Note that entities can be colored by entity type in the sidebar of the inspector. Pro tip: you can also import/export your color preferences from the settings tab.
Finally, the World View has a Connectivity message on the top left to indicate whether there are any delays in the ‘freshness’ of the deployment data being dispalyed.
Check out this page for more details on it!
Entities and their components
When you have selected an entity, either by finding it in the world or entering its ID, the entity sidebar will populate:
From here, you can:
- Delete an entity: eradicate it from your deployment!
- Jump to an entity: center the World View on it
- Observe all of the entity’s component properties in realtime. The components are presented either in tree structure or in JSON, and can be filtered. All values are sampled every second or so.
- Observe which workers are authoritative over this entity.
The top right-hand-side of the Inspector shows a list of workers currently connected to your deployment:
The selected worker’s area of authority is outlined.
From this list, you can:
- View the Load, or utilization, that each worker is under. When a worker is under too much load, SpatialOS can automatically bring one back up if your load balancing settings are configured appropriately.
- Center the World View on a worker
Much like selecting entities, clicking on the “i” icon of a worker will bring up its information in the sidebar:
From here, you can:
- Remove the worker from the deployment.
- Jump to a worker: center the World View on its region of authority
- Observe a number of useful worker metrics, such as FPS, Send/Receive Queue sizes, and counts of entities the worker is acting on broken down by Entity type.
The yellow line shown is the world boundary.
From the Settings tab, you can:
- Change the World View grid units from World units to Chunks
- Change the Maximum zoom level to use until Heatmap mode kicks in
- Import and export your entity coloring settings
Using the Inspector can impact the performance of the deployment being inspected. For more information on this, visit this page.
Was this page helpful?
Thanks for letting us know!
Thanks for your feedback
Need more help? Ask on the forums