The SpatialOS Game Development Kit (GDK) for Unreal is an Unreal Engine plugin which gives you the features of SpatialOS, within the familiar workflows and APIs of Unreal.
- Global hosting: Scalable dedicated hosting for your game in every major gaming region.
- Easy playtesting: Deploy and test your game from the start of development, and distribute it to your team and players quickly and easily with a ready-made link.
- Profiling and debugging tools: Logs and metrics out of the box to help you quickly understand any bugs and performance issues.
- Multiserver networking: Multiple dedicated servers across one seamless game world, enabling greater numbers of Actors, players and gameplay systems. Note: this feature is currently in preview as we work to improve its stability - we recommend you try it out using the Multiserver Shooter Tutorial, but avoid development with it.
If you’re an Unreal game developer and you’re ready to try out the GDK, follow the Get started guide.
It takes you through setting up the GDK and getting the Starter Template project uploaded to and running in the cloud, as well as running locally on your computer, as if it’s a server. This gives an overview of the GDK and using SpatialOS, and you can use the Starter Template as a basis for your own projects.
After you set up the SpatialOS GDK Starter Template, you can learn more about the GDK’s functionality with:
- The Multiserver Shooter tutorial: implement shooting across the boundaries of different servers simulating one game world.
- The Porting guide: porting your existing UE project to SpatialOS.
Find out more
- Learn more about how the GDK works and how it fits into your game stack.
Read the Technical overview (3-minute read).
- If you aren’t already familiar with SpatialOS, you can find out about the concepts which enable it to support game worlds with more persistence, scale, and complexity than previously possible.
Read the SpatialOS concept docs on the SpatialOS documentation website (5 minute read).
- We’d love to hear your game ideas and answer any questions you have about making games on SpatialOS.
Join the community on our forums, or on Discord.
Next: Get started
2019-05-03 Page updated