The SpatialOS Game Development Kit (GDK) for Unreal is an Unreal Engine fork and plugin with associated projects; it provides features of SpatialOS, within the familiar workflows and APIs of Unreal.
- Global hosting: Scalable dedicated hosting for your game in every major gaming region.
- Easy playtesting: Deploy and test your game from the start of development, and distribute it to your team and players quickly and easily with a ready-made link. Scale-test your build by connecting simulated players.
- Profiling and debugging tools: Logs and metrics out of the box to help you quickly understand any bugs and performance issues.
- Single and multiserver networking: Use one instance of server software or multiple instances of server software to compute your game world. Multiple servers enable a greater number of Actors, players and gameplay systems in your game.
Multiserver functionality is available through either:
- server offloading (available in alpha), in which Unreal server functionality is split between multiple servers and those servers compute different functionality across the whole game world, or
- server zoning (available in pre-alpha), in which the game world is split into several geographical areas and each area has a dedicated Unreal server computing all the functionality for it.
Find out more
The Get started guide takes you through setting up the GDK and also explains how to set up:
- a Starter Template project that you can use as a basis for your own projects.
the Example Project running in the cloud, as well as running locally on your computer. The Example Project gives an overview of the GDK and using SpatialOS, and is the basis of our tutorials.
Want to learn more about how the GDK works and how it fits into your game stack?
Read the Technical overview.
Unfamiliar with SpatialOS? Need to find out about the concepts behind it?
Read the SpatialOS concept docs.
> Next: Get started
—— _2019-11-28 Page updated with editorial review: removed duplicate content 2019-10-18 Page updated with editorial review: removed mention of the deprecated tutorial - multiple deployments for session-based games 2019-08-09 Page updated with editorial review 2019-08-08 Page updated with editorial review: renamed “multiserver shooter tutorial” to “multiserver zoning tutorial” 2019-07-31 Updated with limited editorial review