Welcome to the SpatialOS GDK for Unreal
The SpatialOS Game Development Kit (GDK) for Unreal is a plugin which allows you to host your game and combine multiple dedicated server instances across one seamless game world, whilst using the Unreal Engine networking API.
The GDK offers:
- Multiserver support: leveraging our cloud platform, the GDK enables you to use more than one Unreal game server in a single instance so that games can have more players, Actors, and gameplay systems than previously possible.
- An Unreal-native experience: keeping traditional workflows and networking APIs that Unreal Engine developers are familiar with, the GDK introduces new native-feeling concepts that turn a single-server engine into a distributed one. This enables the GDK to retain the functionality of the networking features which Unreal offers out of the box, including transform synchronization, character movement, and map travel.
- An easy way to get started: we have made sure it’s easy to get started with the GDK by including a Starter Project which you can use as a tour of SpatialOS and a base for your own game, as well as a guide to porting your current multiplayer Unreal game to run on SpatialOS.
Want to get going with SpatialOS?
- If you’re an Unreal game developer and you’re ready to get started with SpatialOS, the Get started guide takes you through setting up the GDK and launching the FPS Starter Project. (Note that the GDK is aimed at users comfortable with programming in Unreal.)
GET STARTED with the SpatialOS GDK for Unreal.
Want to find out more?
- Check out our blogs on SpatialOS games currently in development and the game design opportunities and challenges associated with working with SpatialOS.
- We’d love to hear your game ideas and answer any questions you have about making games on SpatialOS.
Join the community on our forums, or on Discord.
- If you aren’t already familiar with SpatialOS, you can find out about the concepts which enable it to support game worlds with more persistence, scale, and complexity than previously possible.
Read the SpatialOS concept docs on the SpatialOS documentation website (5 minute read).